Subject: 24.5; Query-replace case insensitive - do not prompt for do-nothing replacements

From: Ed Avis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 14:46:10 +0000

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgment at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

M-x query-replace is case insensitive by default.  You may sometimes
want to replace a string with another differing only in case, for
example changing 'aaa' to 'Aaa'.  But query-replace prompts for all
cases where a case-insensitive match for 'aaa' is found, even those that
already equal the destination string.

Here are the keypresses starting from 'emacs -Q' to reproduce:

a a a RET A a a RET ESC O A ESC O A ESC % a a a RET
A a a RET y

I suggest that if the search and replacement strings differ only in
case, then Emacs should prompt only where there is a real choice to be
made.  When the match of 'Aaa' is highlighted it makes no difference
whether you answer y or n; so Emacs should not waste the user's time
asking.

This does mean that the matches highlighted by query-replace differ from
those you would find with a normal case insensitive search, in these
specific circumstances where the search and replacement strings differ
only in case.  I think that is a fair tradeoff.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.7)
 of 2016-02-03 on buildhw-05.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Configured using:
 `configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading term/xterm...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set
Quit

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils xterm time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 73605 5714)
 (symbols 48 17645 0)
 (miscs 40 35 138)
 (strings 32 9016 4221)
 (string-bytes 1 247931)
 (vectors 16 7037)
 (vector-slots 8 341247 33284)
 (floats 8 66 407)
 (intervals 56 219 5)
 (buffers 960 11)
 (heap 1024 29894 2227))

Please ignore autogenerated disclaimer below this point.

This email is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. Any retransmission, copying, disclosure or other use of, this information by persons other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the material. This email is for information only and is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument. Wadhwani Asset Management LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership registered in England (OC303168) with registered office at 40 Berkeley Square, 3rd Floor, London, W1J 5AL. It is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.