Subject: Re: bug#23067: 25.0.92; A detail in the doc of query-replace

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 13:09:39 +0300

> From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 03:02:00 +0100
> 
> "In Transient Mark mode, if the mark is active, operate on the contents
> of the region.  Otherwise, operate from point to the end of the buffer."
> 
> I think the second sentence is confusing (wrong).  The command operates
> up to `point-max'.

Thanks.  I fixed the doc string of this function (and of a few others
in the same file).

However, I must say that it makes very little sense to me to make such
corrections only in a couple of functions, when we have gobs of them
with the same problem in the doc strings, so much so that I wonder
whether "end of buffer" isn't already a widely accepted synonym of
"end of the buffer's accessible portion", and we shouldn't bother,
certainly not with fixing that one function at a time.  I won't be
surprised if the same issue has crept in the manuals as well.

Please, let's not start another prolonged dispute that leads nowhere.
Instead, if someone really thinks this stuff should be spelled out in
documentation, that someone is kindly requested to submit a patch that
fixes _all_ of the instances where we don't say that explicitly.  TIA.