Subject: bug#23055: wget within guix fails to resolve FQDNs when used as an input (native or otherwise)

From: Dennis Mungai <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 21:04:46 +0300

Hello there,

I'm porting Arrayfire to GNU Guix, see
https://github.com/Brainiarc7/guix-bioinformatics/blob/master/gn/packages/arrayfire.scm

One of the inputs declared is wget, needed as a fall-back when fetching
BoostCompute should the Cmake checksums fail.

See the build log below:

-- Boost version: 1.60.0
-- BoostCompute...
--   getting https://github.com/boostorg/compute/archive/v0.5.tar.gz
--   validating
/tmp/nix-build-arrayfire-3.3.1.drv-0/build/third_party/compute-0.5.tar.gz
CMake Warning at CMakeModules/build_boost_compute.cmake:47 (MESSAGE):
  /tmp/nix-build-arrayfire-3.3.1.drv-0/build/third_party/compute-0.5.tar.gz:
  Invalid check sum d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e.  Expected was
  69a52598ac539d3b7f6005a3dd2b6f58
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  src/backend/opencl/CMakeLists.txt:91 (INCLUDE)

-- Trying wget https://github.com/boostorg/compute/archive/v0.5.tar.gz
--2016-03-18 17:38:55--
https://github.com/boostorg/compute/archive/v0.5.tar.gz
Resolving github.com (github.com)... failed: Name or service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address ‘github.com’
CMake Error at CMakeModules/build_boost_compute.cmake:53 (MESSAGE):
  /tmp/nix-build-arrayfire-3.3.1.drv-0/build/third_party/compute-0.5.tar.gz:
  Invalid check sum d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e.  Expected was
  69a52598ac539d3b7f6005a3dd2b6f58
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  src/backend/opencl/CMakeLists.txt:91 (INCLUDE)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also
"/tmp/nix-build-arrayfire-3.3.1.drv-0/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
phase `configure' failed after 2.8 seconds
builder for
`/gnu/store/4ik93fkxrjy6acihzz5mzjcjkwc5va38-arrayfire-3.3.1.drv' failed
with exit code 1
@ build-failed
/gnu/store/4ik93fkxrjy6acihzz5mzjcjkwc5va38-arrayfire-3.3.1.drv - 1 builder
for `/gnu/store/4ik93fkxrjy6acihzz5mzjcjkwc5va38-arrayfire-3.3.1.drv'
failed with exit code 1
guix build: error: build failed: build of
`/gnu/store/4ik93fkxrjy6acihzz5mzjcjkwc5va38-arrayfire-3.3.1.drv' failed

As you can see in the first part, fetching BoostCompute fails because the
specified MD5 hash fails, and as a result, the build system falls back to
fetching the same with wget (see second snippet).

The second part fails because wget fails to resolve the FQDN entry
github.com.

However, when invoking wget directly, both the local instalation and the
Guix installation, the FQDN can be resolved correctly and the associated
file fetched successfully:

/gnu/store/w50mfvfzyjzpcbyw3lll7hm4j457jhb0-wget-1.17.1/bin/wget
https://github.com/boostorg/compute/archive/v0.5.tar.gz

Would this qualify as a bug filed against wget in Guix, or does the problem
lie elsewhere?

Regards,

Dennis.