Subject: bug#23040: Resolved

From: Nikolaus Rath <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 09:56:39 -0800

On Jan 26 2017, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Nikolaus Rath <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> The problem here is that recently some spam has started to come with
>> extremely long "References" headers, and that the regular expression
>> used in one of my scoring rules is sub-optimal when applied to such long
>> strings.
>>
>> In particular, the leading dot in "<.+@[a-z0-9]+\\.rath\\.org>" first
>> matches the entire reference header, and then emacs presumably has to
>> backtrack character by character (or something like that).
>>
>> Fixing the rule by restricting the match to one message id fixes the
>> problem: "<[^<>@]+@[a-z0-9]+\\.rath\\.org>"
>
> Could you submit a patch for this problem? 

If I understand the issue correctly, then it is caused by a sub-optimal
regular expression in my local configuration that triggers problems in
Emacs' regular expression engine. I think the former can't be patched in
Gnus, and the latter is definitely beyond my area of expertise, sorry.

Best,
-Nikolaus

-- 
GPG encrypted emails preferred. Key id: 0xD113FCAC3C4E599F
Fingerprint: ED31 791B 2C5C 1613 AF38 8B8A D113 FCAC 3C4E 599F

             »Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a Banana.«