Subject: 25.0.92; New Emacs icon blurry in GNOME on Fedora

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 11:46:56 -0300

The new Emacs icon is displayed with a fuzzy out-of-focus appearance.

The effect is especially noticeable when "Alt-Tab switching" between
applications, where I find myself squinting to try (unsuccessfully) to
bring the Emacs icons into focus. The attached screenshot shows the
problem, although the image doesn't do justice to the severity of the
problem in real life.

Strangely, the effect is not so noticeable (not noticeable at all
really) when looking at the individual .png files of the icons. But
when they are displayed beside the icons from other applications, it's
almost as if the focus distance to the Emacs icons is different from
that of the other icons. [Some of the other icons (e.g. Icecat) are
fuzzy from being pixellated, but at least the pixellation is in focus
so I don't find myself wanting to run off to see the oculist!]

(This is with GNOME Version 3.18.2 on Fedora 23 with the default
Adwaita theme.)

In GNU Emacs 25.0.92.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-03-17 built on moondust
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11801000
System Description:	Fedora release 23 (Twenty Three)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/nlj/local/ --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3 -ggdb''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Opening nnfolder server on archive...done
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
Reading active file via nnfolder...
Opening nnfolder server...done
Reading incoming mail from file...
nnfolder: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done
Reading active file via nnfolder...done
Checking new news...done
Auto-saving...
Mark saved where search started

Load-path shadows:
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-makefile hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-makefile
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-io hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-io
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-pcomplete hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-comint hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-comint
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-awk hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-awk
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-eval hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-eval
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-entities hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-entities
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-irc hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-irc
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-exp hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-exp
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-icalendar hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-lisp hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-colview hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-sql hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-sql
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-w3m hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-w3m
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-java hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-java
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-crypt hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-css hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-css
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-docview hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-docview
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-macro hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-macro
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-picolisp hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-octave hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-octave
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-dot hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-dot
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-mouse hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-feed hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-C hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-C
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-timer hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-archive hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-capture hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-capture
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-lilypond hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-indent hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-bbdb hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-inlinetask hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-maxima hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-ocaml hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-faces hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-ledger hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-js hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-js
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-scheme hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-emacs-lisp hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-sass hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-sass
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-beamer hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-beamer
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-gnuplot hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-element hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-element
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-ref hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-ref
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-gnus hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-gnus
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-man hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-man
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-rmail hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-rmail
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-bibtex hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-html hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-html
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-footnote hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-footnote
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-ruby hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-shen hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-shen
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-latex hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-latex
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-perl hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-perl
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-calc hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-calc
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-clojure hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-latex hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-latex
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-macs hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-table hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-table
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-odt hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-odt
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-datetree hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-publish hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-publish
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-mhe hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-mhe
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-list hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-list
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-clock hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-R hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-R
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-core hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-core
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-id hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-id
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-mobile hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-mobile
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-keys hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-keys
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-agenda hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-agenda
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-ctags hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-ctags
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-attach hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-screen hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-screen
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-ditaa hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-plantuml hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-habit hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-lob hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-lob
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-loaddefs hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-info hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-info
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-eshell hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-eshell
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-version hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-version
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-haskell hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-org hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-org
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-compat hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-table hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-table
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-python hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-python
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-src hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-src
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-plot hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-plot
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-texinfo hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-sqlite hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-tangle hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-matlab hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-md hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-md
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-org hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-org
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-ascii hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-ascii
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-mscgen hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-fortran hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-install hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-install
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-protocol hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-asymptote hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-scala hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-scala
~/.emacs.d/modules/emms/lisp/tq hides /home/nlj/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow bbdb-message mail-extr emacsbug sendmail nndraft nnmh utf-7
server pinentry epa-file epa derived network-stream nsm starttls
nnfolder bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache ibuf-ext ibuffer
character-fold misearch multi-isearch view flyspell ispell sage
sage-load rx emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser
sort emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time emms-lyrics emms-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cl-extra cconv eieio-core url-vars emms-streams emms-tag-editor
emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info
emms-info later-do emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc
emms-player-mplayer emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist
emms-source-file locate emms-setup emms emms-compat compile navi-mode
outshine outorg org-contacts cl-seq org-capture gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime password-cache dig mailcap gnus-sum gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls
utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message cl-macs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems
nnheader mail-utils mm-util help-fns help-mode mail-prsvr cl gv
org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus gnus-util org-docview
doc-view subr-x jka-compr image-mode dired org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb
org-element avl-tree org-w3m org-agenda org advice org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint comint
ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func bbdb-anniv diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb bbdb-site timezone
bbdb-loaddefs finder-inf tex-site info package epg-config edmacro kmacro
recentf tree-widget wid-edit easymenu battery time wheatgrass-theme
delsel paren savehist saveplace elec-pair desktop frameset cl-loaddefs
pcase cl-lib cua-base cus-start cus-load time-date mule-util tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 443485 30338)
 (symbols 48 93276 0)
 (miscs 40 2198 6869)
 (strings 32 132455 7944)
 (string-bytes 1 4387453)
 (vectors 16 40090)
 (vector-slots 8 879416 6387)
 (floats 8 545 619)
 (intervals 56 2813 0)
 (buffers 976 38)
 (heap 1024 83561 15780))