Subject: bug#23039: 25.0.92; New Emacs icon blurry in GNOME on Fedora

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 08:56:15 -0300

At 09:34 +0100 on Monday 2016-03-21, Nicolas Petton wrote:

> "N. Jackson" <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>> The new Emacs icon is displayed with a fuzzy out-of-focus appearance.
>
> I cannot reproduce the issue, using a fresh Fedora 23 box, and
> installing the latest pretest (25.0.92).
>
> I attached screenshots of the icon in GNOME.

Hi Nico,

Yes, that looks very nice on your system.

Can you tell me the correct steps to get the new icon to be used, and at
the correct resolution?

Initially when I built the pretests from the tarballs and ran Emacs 25
from the src/ directory I was still seeing the old icon.

To get the new icon to show up I did a make install (to prefix=~/local/)
but that was not sufficient (and possibly not necessary).

Then I un-installed the Fedora-supplied Emacs package (from which, I
believe, the old icons were being picked up), and after that I had the
new icon, but fuzzy, as shown in my screenshot in my initial bug report.

My PATH has /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin before ~/local/bin, which
possibly explains that. But I'm not sure if it's relevant because I'm
not familiar with the workings of how GNOME picks up the icons for a
binary.

The new icons seem to be installed to both
~/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/etc/images/icons/hicolor/ and to
~/local/share/icons/hicolor/ -- should they be in both?

Thanks.

Regards,
N.