Subject: Re: bug#23023: Compatibility between 1.3.3 gzip'ed file and Gzip 1.3.12

From: "Kishan c Gollapudi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 13:00:39 -0800

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for the quick response . We will forward this message to the
customer.

Thanks,
Kishan

From:	Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To:	Kishan c Gollapudi/Silicon Valley/IBM@IBMUS,
            [email-masked]
Cc:	Cecile Madsen/Santa Teresa/IBM@IBMUS
Date:	03/15/2016 01:53 PM
Subject:	Re: bug#23023: Compatibility between 1.3.3 gzip'ed file and
            Gzip 1.3.12

On 03/15/2016 01:16 PM, Kishan c Gollapudi wrote:
> Not finding any other differences, we wondered if that back-level
> of
> gzip would cause the problem????!

Doesn't ring a bell. Anything's possible.

RHEL 6.7 has gzip 1.3.12 so it is a bit odd that your customer is
running 1.3.3. 1.3.3 is reeeally old and has a lot of security bugs. The
GNU project no longer distributes 1.3.3, even as an old release, so we
can't easily debug any problems involving 1.3.3. Maybe the customer has
an old user-installed binary of gzip 1.3.3? If so, I'd be suspicious of
it, and suggest removing it and using the gzip that comes with RHEL.