Subject: bug#23019: closed (Re: bug#23019: parse-partial-sexp doesn't output the full state needed for its continuance.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 13:39:02 +0000

Your bug report

#23019: parse-partial-sexp doesn't output the full state needed for its continuance.

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
23019: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23019
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#23019: parse-partial-sexp doesn't output the full state needed for its continuance.
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 13:41:34 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Bug fixed.

On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 09:30:32PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Subject: parse-partial-sexp doesn't output the full state needed for its continuance.
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 09:13:55 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello, Emacs.

When parse-partial-sexp finishes a parse, it fails to record whether or
not its end point is just after the first character of a two character
comment starter or ender.  When the resulting state is used as an
argument to resume the parse, p-p-s will be unaware that the comment has
started or ended and produce false results.

Proposed solution: Add an extra element to the parser state, recording the
syntax of the last character passed over before the end of the parse.
This would be used by parse-partial-sexp to initialise its parse.

Also: the existing element 9 (the list of currently open parens) and the
new element should be explicitly documented in the Elisp manual, together
with a statement that there may be further elements in the parse state
used internally by parse-partial-sexp (for future expansion).

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).