Subject: 24.5; buggy interactive search with middle click

From: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 04:10:33 +0100

1. Start Emacs with its own UI under X Window.

2. Type: M-<
   Here the cursor is at the beginning of the buffer, which contains
   some text.

3. In some other window, select some text (e.g. the letter "n").

4. Type: C-s
   This starts the interactive search. It says:
   I-search:

5. Click with the middle button near the bottom of the window.
   This pastes the text at the end of the buffer.

6. Type: C-_
   This removes the pasted text and moves the cursor back at the
   beginning of the buffer.

7. Type: C-s
   This starts the interactive search again. But this time, it says:
   I-search:  [No previous search string]

8. Type: e
   This searches for "e". All the occurrences of "e" are highlighted.

9. Type: <down>
   This is no longer the interactive search, but the occurrences of "e"
   are still highlighted.

Typing other letters brings back to the interactive search.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.6)
 of 2016-01-22 on binet, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11801000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux stable-updates (sid)

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: POSIX
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_DK
  value of $LANG: POSIX
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50latex-cjk-common.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50latex-cjk-thai.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50psvn.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50python-docutils.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50rnc-mode.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50texlive-lang-english.el (source)...done
Loading /home/vinc17/share/emacs/site-lisp/mutteditor.el (source)...done
Loading time...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
user-error: Beginning of history; no preceding item

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/cmake-data/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/textmodes/rst
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/latex-cjk-thai/thai-word hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/language/thai-word

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr warnings emacsbug message format-spec
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils time cus-start
cus-load paren cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs edmacro
kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 92473 4397)
 (symbols 48 20392 0)
 (miscs 40 44 93)
 (strings 32 16021 4470)
 (string-bytes 1 471882)
 (vectors 16 10303)
 (vector-slots 8 396854 4370)
 (floats 8 70 88)
 (intervals 56 230 0)
 (buffers 960 12)
 (heap 1024 32308 1033))