Subject: bug#23006: 25.0.92; Loading Tramp breaks pcomplete in eshell-mode

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 16:54:23 +0100

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> Of course, it's possible I'm missing something big here, in
> which case I apologize.  But my impression from what I've seen
> so far is that you are now digging into the weeds in territory
> where Tramp does not really belong.

Maybe you are right, and I'll happily discuss this. But think about the
difference of "a connection has already been established to a host", and
"no connection has been established to a host". Tramp shall support file
name completion at least in the first case. I don't know whether
completion packages want to go into the business of deciding this
question. Therefore, there must be a trade-off between completion
packages and Tramp in order to decide whether to complete.

Anyway, the purpose of *this* bug report is that non-essential hasn't
been bound, and nobody could explain to me why it is wrong to bind it in
pcomplete. I would like to fix *this* problem in the bug report, and
discuss proper usage of non-essential somewhere else, in emacs-devel or
another bug report. Otherwise, we loose focus.

Best regards, Michael.