Subject: Re: bug#23006: 25.0.92; Loading Tramp breaks pcomplete in eshell-mode

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 03:00:29 +0200

On 03/22/2016 11:47 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:

>>> part). Remember my scenario about ediff'ing remote files; I *want* file
>>> name completion for the second file, even if there's no established
>>> connection yet.
>>
>> Do you have any reason to expect that `non-essential' would be set to
>> non-nil in that context?
>
> Yes. The reason is that it has been always my understanding of
> non-essential. See the discussion between Stefan and me six years ago,
> when non-essential was born.

I've only managed to find the 2012's discussion in the archive.

> In the `strict' case, Tramp must not open a new connection under any
> circumstances. That's your idle timer case. There might be also other
> cases, but it shall be used with care, because it restricts Tramp's
> convenience.

So far, company-files has been doing this with

   (or (not (file-remote-p file))
       (file-remote-p file nil t))

where file is the current input.