Subject: bug#23006: 25.0.92; Loading Tramp breaks pcomplete in eshell-mode

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 02:54:33 +0200

Hey Michael,

On 03/22/2016 03:35 PM, Michael Albinus wrote:
> Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> I'm speaking only about two different cases. File name completion
>>> started by user activity, like hitting TAB. And file name completion
>>> started in the background, for example via idle timers.
>>
>> Also known as: the case where non-essential is nil and the case where
>> it's non-nil.

This looks reasonable to me.

> Stefan, just a simple question: do you agree that Tramp shall be
> informed that file name completion is in progress?

How would that happen? I don't have to use file-name-all-completions to 
implement file completion operation. Until recently, company-files used 
directory-files at least for some inputs, to implement file completion.

Would every third-party author who decided to implement their own file 
completion mechanism have to find out about some new, Tramp-related 
variable, and bind it to t in their code?

That doesn't sound great.