Subject: Re: bug#23006: 25.0.92; Loading Tramp breaks pcomplete in eshell-mode

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 13:08:43 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>> And I don't understand why Tramp shall refuse to provide file name
>>>> completion once the user has asked for this explicitely. Typing
>>>> "/ssh:host:tmp/em TAB" is a very convincing argument to me, that the
>>>> user wants a new connection to "host",
>>> We all agree.  And in that case, non-essential will be nil, so Tramp
>>> can open a connection.  It can even do that without the second slash.
>> As Dmitry has shown, there might be cases Tramp shall not open a new
>> connection even in this case (called from an idle timer).
>
> In the idle timer case, non-essential will be non-nil, so Tramp should
> never open a connection.
>
>> So we need a distinction between "it is always blocked to open a new
>> connection" and "We recommend Tramp to open a new connection only when
>> it is safe for Tramp". One single value of non-essential doesn't fit
>> this bill.
>
> I must have missed something.  Can you repeat which are the three
> different cases you have in mind?
> [ In this message, I only see two cases, and I'm not sure what the
>   third would be.  ]

I'm speaking only about two different cases. File name completion
started by user activity, like hitting TAB. And file name completion
started in the background, for example via idle timers.

If I have said "three" somewhere else, it was a mistake.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.