Subject: bug#23006: 25.0.92; Loading Tramp breaks pcomplete in eshell-mode

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 08:02:10 -0400

>>> And I don't understand why Tramp shall refuse to provide file name
>>> completion once the user has asked for this explicitely. Typing
>>> "/ssh:host:tmp/em TAB" is a very convincing argument to me, that the
>>> user wants a new connection to "host",
>> We all agree.  And in that case, non-essential will be nil, so Tramp
>> can open a connection.  It can even do that without the second slash.
> As Dmitry has shown, there might be cases Tramp shall not open a new
> connection even in this case (called from an idle timer).

In the idle timer case, non-essential will be non-nil, so Tramp should
never open a connection.

> So we need a distinction between "it is always blocked to open a new
> connection" and "We recommend Tramp to open a new connection only when
> it is safe for Tramp". One single value of non-essential doesn't fit
> this bill.

I must have missed something.  Can you repeat which are the three
different cases you have in mind?
[ In this message, I only see two cases, and I'm not sure what the
  third would be.  ]

        Stefan