Subject: Re: bug#23006: 25.0.92; Loading Tramp breaks pcomplete in eshell-mode

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 10:27:44 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Indeed, the issue is "don't interfere with the main operation", so
>>> prompting is a clear no-no.  Opening a new connection might be
>>> acceptable (as long as it doesn't block Emacs for too long, for
>>> example).
>> Again, Tramp has no chance to determine this in advance. Whether new
>> credentials are required interactively, or not, is decided only after
>> Tramp has started to open a new connection.
>
> That's OK.  I'm only talking about the intended meaning of
> non-essential, independently of any particular use such as in Tramp.
> If there's a risk of problems and non-essential is non-nil, then don't
> open a new connection.  If there's always such a risk, then never open
> a new connection (when non-essential is non-nil).

Unless we are running into the scenario given by Dmitry ...

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.