Subject: bug#23006: 25.0.92; Loading Tramp breaks pcomplete in eshell-mode

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 20:10:49 +0200

On 03/21/2016 06:55 PM, Michael Albinus wrote:

> And I don't understand why Tramp shall refuse to provide file name
> completion once the user has asked for this explicitely. Typing
> "/ssh:host:tmp/em TAB" is a very convincing argument to me, that the
> user wants a new connection to "host", and she wants also to get
> completion for "tmp/ema" on that host. I cannot see why Tramp shall be
> forbidden to do this.

You don't know that the user has pressed TAB. There are contexts where 
the user hasn't pressed TAB, but we still call 
file-name-all-completions, e.g. in an idle timer callback, to show what 
*would* happen *if* they press tab.

> But again, *this* bug report is not about what Tramp does when
> non-essential is bound to non-nil. *This* bug report is about, that
> non-essential is nil, although file name completion is
> undergoing. Remember, we are in eshell, the user has typed "cd /", and
> afterwards she has called pcomplete.

Sure. I'm the author of this report. Still, it would be nice to have 
`non-essential' have the intended effect.