Subject: bug#23006: 25.0.92; Loading Tramp breaks pcomplete in eshell-mode

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 17:55:02 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 03/21/2016 06:25 PM, Michael Albinus wrote:
>
>> *I* have asked for an indication
>> that file name completion is ongoing.
>
> Do that in Tramp's file-name-all-completions handler?

It's not only file-name-all-completions. Other file name operations are
involved also.

>> Stefan wanted to use it in a more
>> general way. I haven't seen the other use cases yet.
>
> Why do you need other cases? This *is* the more general way, and it
> makes more sense to me, as an author of a completion UI.

I don't need the other cases, and I've never asked for. The hypethetical
existence of such a more general meaning is the argument, that
non-essential does not simply indicate that file name completion is on
the way.

And I don't understand why Tramp shall refuse to provide file name
completion once the user has asked for this explicitely. Typing
"/ssh:host:tmp/em TAB" is a very convincing argument to me, that the
user wants a new connection to "host", and she wants also to get
completion for "tmp/ema" on that host. I cannot see why Tramp shall be
forbidden to do this.

But again, *this* bug report is not about what Tramp does when
non-essential is bound to non-nil. *This* bug report is about, that
non-essential is nil, although file name completion is
undergoing. Remember, we are in eshell, the user has typed "cd /", and
afterwards she has called pcomplete.

Best regards, Michael.