Subject: Re: bug#23006: 25.0.92; Loading Tramp breaks pcomplete in eshell-mode

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 16:46:29 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 03/20/2016 10:53 PM, Michael Albinus wrote:
>
>> No. `non-essential' doesn't dictate what Tramp shall do, for example
>> whether it could open a new connection. It tells Tramp something about
>> the context ("Be careful, we are in file name completion!"). Tramp
>> decides then, whether it could perform an operation, or not.
>
> According to the docstring, it only tells Tramp not to ask for the
> credentials (when non-essential is non-nil). Whether Tramp is allowed
> to open a connection it already knows credentials for, is not
> specified (though I probably wouldn't).

Tramp doesn't know in advance whether it has sufficient credentials for
a given connection. Therefore, it is only about whether Tramp shall open
a new connection. Asking for the credentials is the user visible part of
opening a new connection.

Best regards, Michael.