Subject: Re: bug#23006: 25.0.92; Loading Tramp breaks pcomplete in eshell-mode

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 21:53:11 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 03/20/2016 10:31 PM, Michael Albinus wrote:
>
>> I'll do, once you have typed the first slash. This doesn't depend on
>> settings of non-essential.
>
> That sounds wrong.

No. `non-essential' doesn't dictate what Tramp shall do, for example
whether it could open a new connection. It tells Tramp something about
the context ("Be careful, we are in file name completion!"). Tramp
decides then, whether it could perform an operation, or not.

Seeing a slash in the local file name part, as when you type
"/ssh:host:tmp/em TAB", gives Tramp the confidence that it is safe to
open a connection to "host".

I was too sloppy with my statement above. The first slash I've meant is
NOT the slash in "/ssh".

Best regards, Michael.