Subject: bug#22993: Potential fix/workaround for 22993

From: Aaron Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 16:23:48 +0000

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 9:19 AM Alan Third <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I can reproduce this. I suspect that I was doing something that was
> causing the GUI window to update and that must have been bringing it
> out of App Nap.
>

Great, glad to hear I'm not the only one.

> I don't actually see any performance issues, but that may just be
> because my PC is otherwise idle.
>

Only certain things seem to have issues. read-event specifically does,
which is used in many places in my setup. I use evil, and to exit insert
mode, I hit ESC which ultimately calls read-event, meaning it takes a
second or two to exit. Helm has performance issues too. But yes, if your
computer is doing absolutely nothing else, maybe the scheduler is still
giving napping apps enough time. For me, I've always got something going on
so its pretty unusable.

As a workaround I use:

defaults write org.gnu.Emacs NSAppSleepDisabled -bool YES

But this should be built into the dist.
-- 
Aaron