Subject: bug#22991: 25.0.92: C-u C-s does not display "Regexp I-search:" in the echo area

From: Artur Malabarba <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 10:52:16 -0300

On 12 Mar 2016 9:51 am, "Michael Heerdegen" <[email-masked]>
wrote:
>
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > I'm not sure I understand how the fact of the binding being local has
> > any relevance to what we show in the prompt.
>
> If the default is different in different buffers, the user more likely
> wants to see the mode in the prompt.  So, my suggestion is to show the
> default in the prompt only when it is not the default default...
>
>
> Michael.

I agree with Michael on this. If the current search-mode is different from
the global default, then it should be displayed on the prompt. That could
happen if the user switched the mode during a search, or if something
changed the variable's buffer-local value.

I don't want to add a user option just for this.

Cheers