Subject: Re: bug#22984: 25.0.92; Typo in etc/DEBUG

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 17:59:33 +0200

> From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 11:18:16 -0400
> 
> In line 75 of etc/DEBUG there is the following text:
> 
>   you can start GDB by typing "M-x GDB RET"
> 
> IIUC, this should say
> 
>   you can start GDB by typing "M-x gdb RET"

Thanks, fixed.

> Additionally, it might be helpful if this file mentioned the "debugger"
> that pops up when debug-on-error is non-nil.

That's not really what that file is about.

> This "debugger" doesn't seem to be a debugger at all, but just a
> help window with a backtrace in it.

No, it's a debugger.  See the node "Debugger" in the ELisp manual, it
is described there.

> Also, can one use `M-x gdb RET' in the same instance of Emacs that one
> wishes to debug?

No, of course not.  When you attach GDB to a program, GDB stops its,
so Emacs will stop responding, and you will not be able to continue
debugging.

But you can run a second instance of the same binary, and debug the
first instance from that second instance.  Perhaps this is what you
had in mind, and this is just a misunderstanding caused by the vague
meaning of "instance"?