Subject: bug#22984: 25.0.92; Typo in etc/DEBUG

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 16:12:55 -0400

At 21:42 +0200 on Friday 2016-03-11, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> I'm not sure.  How a bout if you suggest an alternative wording,
> perhaps it will explain better what you'd like to see there?

The current text for the paragraph is this:

    We recommend using the GUI front-end for GDB provided by Emacs.
    With it, you can start GDB by typing "M-x gdb RET".  This will
    suggest the default binary to debug; if you are going to start a
    new Emacs process, change it as needed to point to the correct
    binary.  Alternatively, if you want to attach the debugger to an
    already running Emacs process, change the GDB command shown in
    the minibuffer to say this:

       gdb -i=mi -p PID

    where PID is the numerical process ID of the running Emacs
    process, displayed by system utilities such as 'top' or 'ps' on
    Posix hosts and Task Manager on MS-Windows.

It's the third sentence that's at issue due to the previously
mentioned ambiguities etc. I am suggesting something along the
following lines (but you have said IIUC that I have misunderstood
the intended meaning):

    We recommend using the GUI front-end for GDB provided by Emacs.
    With it, you can start GDB by typing "M-x gdb RET".  This will
    suggest the default binary for GDB to load; if you want GDB to
    load a different binary, change the suggestion as needed.  
    Alternatively, if you want to attach the debugger to an already
    running Emacs process, change the GDB command shown in the
    minibuffer to say this:

       gdb -i=mi -p PID

    where PID is the numerical process ID of the running Emacs
    process, displayed by system utilities such as 'top' or 'ps' on
    Posix hosts and Task Manager on MS-Windows.