Subject: bug#22983: syntax-ppss returns wrong result.

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2017 20:53:39 +0300

> Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2017 17:40:27 +0000
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
> 
> > It doesn't sound like this discussion is leading anywhere, and since
> > almost 1.5 years has passed with no comments, I guess this bug doesn't
> > need to block the release of Emacs 26.1, at least.
> 
> I'm not happy about this.  22983 is a serious design flaw, which has had
> deleterious effects deep within Emacs.

I didn't close the bug, mind you.  I just removed it from the list of
those blocking the impending release.  You, or anyone else, are free
to work on fixing it and/or discuss the various approaches to dealing
with this issue.

> Before I do start spending time on it, I would like some assurance
> that my fix will not be blocked or reverted (both have happened to
> other things in the core I've worked on)

I doubt that anyone could give you such a promise without seeing the
proposed changes.  Especially since this and related issues, and
solutions proposed for them, already have some history of being
controversial.

> and that I will have a reasonable amount of time to get the job done
> (a few weeks) before any freeze for Emacs 25.3 or 26 comes into
> force.

That I can promise you.  Feature freeze doesn't affect bugfixes, and
Emacs 26.1 is not going to be released tomorrow or the next week.