Subject: Re: bug#22983: syntax-ppss returns wrong result.

From: John Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 15:58:43 -0700

>>>>> Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> The aforementioned patch both fixes the bug and allows syntax-ppss to
> continue to be used in the fashion I've mentioned previously.

> The question that's holding it, as far as I'm concerned, if whether the
> "hard narrowing" discussion reaches a satisfying conclusion. If it does, we
> won't really need syntax-ppss-dont-widen.

Have things reached a satisfactory conclusion now?  It was hard for me to tell
by the end of this thread.

> I've never said anything about avoiding making changes to it. But when we do
> that, we usually try to accommodate the existing uses (the importance of
> which depends on how many uses there are out there).

Sure, though it's experimental nature does get taken into account. If a thing
is wrong, I'm not interested in accommodating existing workarounds to its
wrongness.

-- 
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2