Subject: bug#22983: syntax-ppss returns wrong result.

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 04:14:14 +0300

On 03/27/2016 02:51 AM, John Wiegley wrote:

> syntax-ppss needs more work, that seems to be fairly clear based on the volume
> of discussion around this feature, and bugs like this one.

Bugs, plural? Alan has filed just one so far, and I've posted the 
trivial patch.

> Therefore, since it
> is not solid yet I'm not willing to let existing dependencies prevent us from
> fixing its flaws.

The aforementioned patch both fixes the bug and allows syntax-ppss to 
continue to be used in the fashion I've mentioned previously.

The question that's holding it, as far as I'm concerned, if whether the 
"hard narrowing" discussion reaches a satisfying conclusion. If it does, 
we won't really need syntax-ppss-dont-widen.

> When a feature becomes solid and true, like lexical-binding, that's when I
> become incredibly reticent to make any changes whatsoever -- without the
> convergence of all the planets and the moons.

I've never said anything about avoiding making changes to it. But when 
we do that, we usually try to accommodate the existing uses (the 
importance of which depends on how many uses there are out there).