Subject: bug#22983: [ Patch ] Re: bug#22983: syntax-ppss returns wrong result.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 11:26:37 +0000

Hello, Dmitry.

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 17:09:03 +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> Hi Alan,

> On 9/19/17 11:47 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > I have done now, without the slightest cause for concern (see below).

> Thank you. Should you commit the patch (with any documentation tweaks 
> you deem necessary), or should I?

Could I ask you to do it, please?  I'm somewhat exhausted from debating
another basic Emacs change.

Ah yes, the documentation.  I checked the doc in the elisp manual, and
twice the phrase "from the beginning of the buffer" was used.  I've
clarified that with "from the beginning of the visible portion of the
buffer".  I've also amended "a cache" to "caches", though this doesn't
seem too important.  What do you think:

diff --git a/doc/lispref/syntax.texi b/doc/lispref/syntax.texi
index e3ae53536f..b37f2b22b8 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/syntax.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/syntax.texi
@@ -751,7 +751,8 @@ Position Parse
 
 @defun syntax-ppss &optional pos
 This function returns the parser state that the parser would reach at
-position @var{pos} starting from the beginning of the buffer.
+position @var{pos} starting from the beginning of the visible portion
+of the buffer.
 @iftex
 See the next section for
 @end iftex
@@ -762,11 +763,11 @@ Position Parse
 
 The return value is the same as if you call the low-level parsing
 function @code{parse-partial-sexp} to parse from the beginning of the
-buffer to @var{pos} (@pxref{Low-Level Parsing}).  However,
-@code{syntax-ppss} uses a cache to speed up the computation.  Due to
-this optimization, the second value (previous complete subexpression)
-and sixth value (minimum parenthesis depth) in the returned parser
-state are not meaningful.
+visible portion of the buffer to @var{pos} (@pxref{Low-Level
+Parsing}).  However, @code{syntax-ppss} uses caches to speed up the
+computation.  Due to this optimization, the second value (previous
+complete subexpression) and sixth value (minimum parenthesis depth) in
+the returned parser state are not meaningful.
 
 This function has a side effect: it adds a buffer-local entry to
 @code{before-change-functions} (@pxref{Change Hooks}) for

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).