Subject: bug#22983: [ Patch ] Re: bug#22983: syntax-ppss returns wrong result.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 10:29:56 +0000

Hello, Dmitry.

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 03:24:08 +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 9/11/17 11:12 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

[ .... ]

> > I wouldn't be keen on seeing lots of (car compound-variable) and (cdr
> > compound-variable) throughout the syntax-ppss function.  I think it
> > would make it significantly more difficult to understand.

> Hopefully there will be only several such places. But again, we can use 
> structs.

I don't know anything about these things.  But seeing as how syntax.el is
preloaded, the definition of structs would need to be preloaded earlier.

> >> Would you like to see the code?

> > Yes, why not?

> Please give me until the end of the week.

The end of the week has arrived.  Are you still intending to propose an
alternative formulation of the new cache manipulation for syntax-ppss?

> > But just to make my position clear, I'm not particularly fixed on my
> > patch as submitted.  It was optimised for simplicity and correctness
> > rather than elegance, though I don't think it's too bad.  I'm fairly
> > open on whether we use your suggestions or Stefan's suggestion of having
> > an alist of caches.

> Cool.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).