Subject: bug#22981: guix-edit does not find git checkout directory

From: myglc2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 11:42:08 -0400

Alex Kost <[email-masked]> writes:

> myglc2 (2016-03-13 05:00 +0300) wrote:
>
> [...]
>> You probably already thought of this: Can guix be made easier to use by
>> converting some of the state-full guix configuration into guix recipe
>> inputs?
>
> Sorry, my knowledge in English language is not enough to understand this
> question.  Could you explain what "state-full" means?

NP. I may have caused a problem by miss-spelling "stateful", which I
meant this way ...

"The output of a digital circuit or computer program at any time is
completely determined by its current inputs and its state."

  Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_(computer_science)

Guix is "stateful" because, to use a git checkout, I have to set "state"
variables like ...

    (setq guix-directory "/home/glc/src/guix")

    (let ((dir "~/dev/guix/emacs"))
      (add-to-list 'load-path dir)
      (setq guix-load-path dir)
      (require 'guix-init nil t))

    '(safe-local-variable-values
       (quote
        ((bug-reference-bug-regexp . "<https?://\\(debbugs\\|bugs\\)\\.gnu\\.org/\\([0-9]+\\)>")))))
    (custom-set-faces

    /home/glc/.config/guix/latest’ -> ‘../../src/guix'
    /root/.config/guix/latest’ -> ‘/home/glc/src/GUI’

Guix would be less stateful (AKA more "stateless") if instead I could
put something like ...

    (guix
      (#:use-git #t)
      (#:git-directory:"~/src/guix"))

... in user.scm and do 'guix package -m user.scm' ;)