Subject: bug#22981: guix-edit does not find git checkout directory

From: Alex Kost <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 12:15:47 +0300

myglc2 (2016-03-11 17:45 +0300) wrote:

> Alex Kost <[email-masked]> writes:
[...]
>> Anyway, you can configure any directory for "M-x guix-edit" by setting
>> 'guix-directory' variable.  See (info "(guix) Emacs Commands").  It is
>> not in the hmtl manual yet.
>
> But what is the _recommended_ way to do this?

I would say the recommended way is A, as it only effects this particular
task (sets a default directory with guix packages for emacs), but this
is free software(!), you can use whatever you like and the way you want.

> A) set 'guix-directory' variable in emacs init file?

I set this var in my emacs config.

> B) make symbolic link to ~/src/guix from ~/.config/guix/latest?

Actually, I use this too, because this is one of the general solutions
to use guix from a git checkout.

> C) something else?

Christopher Allan Webber invented another interesting way of using guix
emacs stuff with guix from git¹:

(setq guix-guile-program '(".../guix/pre-inst-env" "guile"))

> And if a _new_ user starts reading in "8.1 Building from Git", how do
> they find this information?

Since you want to use "M-x guix-edit" command, you are supposed to read
its docstring (C-h f guix-edit) or a part of the manual where it is
described.  You can learn about 'guix-directory' variable from both
places.

¹ http://dustycloud.org/blog/guix-package-manager-without-make-install

-- 
Alex