Subject: bug#22952: closed (Re: bug#22952: MacBook2, 1 brightness control requires root privileges)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 12:32:02 +0000

Your bug report

#22952: MacBook2,1 brightness control requires root privileges

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22952: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22952
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22952: MacBook2, 1 brightness control requires root privileges
From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
To: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 13:30:52 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Wed, Jan 05, 2022 at 12:46:54AM +0100, zimoun wrote:
> I am doing triage of old bug and I hit this one [1].  Is it still happening?

Thank you for asking again.  All is fixed and no password gets asked
when using brightness keys on my same Macbook on GNOME/GDM nor
MATE/SDDM.  I cannot test the original poster’s Redshift even after
adding it to the geoclue-service-type applications because I lack WiFi
hardware.

Closing.

Regards,
Florian

Subject: MacBook2,1 brightness control requires root privileges
From: Albin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 23:50:44 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I've discovered that the non-working brightness controls for the
MacBook2,1 are due to insufficient permissions.

The first indication of this was that I could change brightness by
running the program redshift with root permissions (`sudo redshift`).

Today I was presented with this dialog box in GNOME 3 after having
pressed one of the brightness-control keys:

"Authentication is needed to run
'/gnu/store/[...]-gnome-settings-daemon-3.18.2/libexec/gsd-backlight-helper'
as the super user.

Administrator
Password [__________]"

I tried to input both the user password and the root password but none
of this this had any effect. When I back into GNOME 3 as root, however,
the brightness controls were working.

Does anyone have a suggestion what I could try to give the various
brightness control programs (for GNOME 3, Xfce, etc.) the required
permissions without having to be logged in as root?

Cheers!

Albin