Subject: bug#22951: 25.1.50; Visible bell too big on OSX

From: David Ongaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 23:47:36 -0700

At 08.03.2016 22:45, John Wiegley wrote:
>>>>>> sebastien  <address@hidden> writes:
> 
>> Since commit bbe8a899ac91f93bcdb14fec8c200cd3f2256987 which increases the
>> size of the icon 5 times, the visible bell has become way too big and
>> distracting on the master branch: cf. attachments before.png vs. after.png
>> on a full screen Emacs frame.
> 
> I guess we need to make this configurable.  I actually asked for the size to
> be increased, but others don't want it so large, then we need a way to ask for
> the smaller or the larger size.
>  
> I'm OK with either one being the default.

Did this ever got implemented? Since I upgraded to Mojave the
visible-bell icon got huge, basically filling the whole middle screen
area. Maybe it's just a Mojave specific bug, but maybe it's something
which could be worked around with a visible-bell size option.

David Ongaro

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0, NS appkit-1348.17 Version 10.10.5 (Build 14F2511))
 of 2018-05-30 built on builder10-10.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1671
Recent messages:
Mark saved where search started

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils misearch multi-isearch help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs cl-lib apropos elec-pair time-date tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 208327 9868)
 (symbols 48 20511 1)
 (miscs 40 109 289)
 (strings 32 29577 1299)
 (string-bytes 1 782477)
 (vectors 16 35379)
 (vector-slots 8 722822 14400)
 (floats 8 53 97)
 (intervals 56 250 14)
 (buffers 992 14))