Subject: bug#22938: closed (Re: bug#22938: 24.5; Cannot rename files in directory with escaped spaces)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 20:49:02 +0000

Your bug report

#22938: 24.5; Cannot rename files in directory with escaped spaces

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22938: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22938
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22938: 24.5; Cannot rename files in directory with escaped spaces
From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], Marty Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 21:48:31 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> AFAICS, the problem is in wdired-normalize-filename: it removes the
> backslash and the following blank from the name, thus creating a name
> of a file that doesn't exist.

Should be fixed in commit 02bf7cc.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."

Subject: 24.5; Cannot rename files in directory with escaped spaces
From: Marty Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 03:29:30 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

most of this happens outside of emacs:
mkdir 'escape\ me'
cd 'escape\ me'
touch a
emacs -Q .
C-x C-q
rename the file from a to b
C-c C-c

when I inspect the error, it looks like it is attempting to rename
/home/mjrosenb/tmp/escapeme/a to /home/mjrosenb/tmp/escapeme/b
which fails, because the name of the directory is 'escape\ me', not
'escapeme'

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.6)
 of 2015-09-09 on foutrelis
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Press C-c C-c when finished or C-c ESC to abort changes
1 rename actions failed--type ? for details
C-c C-c is undefined

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils dired-aux wdired dired xterm
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 83726 8439)
 (symbols 48 18125 0)
 (miscs 40 36 149)
 (strings 32 10824 4459)
 (string-bytes 1 289384)
 (vectors 16 7637)
 (vector-slots 8 346167 28364)
 (floats 8 65 189)
 (intervals 56 214 3)
 (buffers 960 13)
 (heap 1024 10595 1622))