Subject: 25.0.90; standard-display-table poor match for multi-tty/multi-display/daemon usage

From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 20:34:40 -0500

If I start Emacs in tty mode and then use make-frame-on-display, the X11
frame uses straight quotes again.

When I start Emacs in daemon mode and then create an X11 frame, buffers
(newly loaded or restored via desktop mode) with curly quotes display
those quotes as straight quotes, even though the display is capable of
displaying curly quotes. (I assume the undisplayed initial frame is
considered incapable of displaying them.)

If I start Emacs on the X11 display directly, the quotes are displayed
properly.

Poking around, I find standard-display-table is set to a table with a
few entries in it, and if I set it to nil, curly quotes get used again.

The ability to display them is an attribute of the X11 display or the
frame; it shouldn't be set globally based on the initial frame.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.90.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2016-02-05 built on just-testing.permabit.com
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103000
System Description:	Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/permabit/user/raeburn/dev/emacs/fsf/emacs-25.0.90/precise/Inst
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --enable-checking'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
LUCID X11

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  global-hi-lock-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  jabber-activity-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
[email-masked] is now Away
[email-masked] is now Online
Message in [email-masked]
Message in [email-masked]
Message in [email-masked]
Message in [email-masked]
Mark set [2 times]
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer.

When done with this frame, type C-x 5 0

Load-path shadows:
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-muc-nick-completion hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-muc-nick-completion
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-modeline hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-modeline
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-screen hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-screen
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-socks5 hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-socks5
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-muc hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-muc
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-chatbuffer hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-chatbuffer
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-events hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-events
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-chatstates hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-chatstates
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/fsm-0.2/fsm hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/fsm
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-widget hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-widget
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-si-client hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-si-client
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-sasl hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-sasl
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-ratpoison hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ratpoison
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-time hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-time
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-logon hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-logon
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-browse hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-browse
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-ahc-presence hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ahc-presence
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-roster hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-roster
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/srv hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/srv
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-ft-client hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ft-client
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-compose hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-compose
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-search hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-search
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-feature-neg hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-feature-neg
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-sawfish hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-sawfish
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-vcard hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-vcard
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-ft-server hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ft-server
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-activity hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-activity
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-export hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-export
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-conn hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-conn
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-xml hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-xml
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-util hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-util
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-festival hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-festival
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-xmessage hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-xmessage
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-iq hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-iq
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-autoloads hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-autoloads
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-vcard-avatars hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-vcard-avatars
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-ft-common hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ft-common
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-menu hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-menu
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-awesome hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-awesome
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-si-server hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-si-server
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-bookmarks hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-bookmarks
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-wmii hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-wmii
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-core hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-core
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-version hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-version
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-ourversion hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ourversion
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-autoaway hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-autoaway
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-keymap hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-keymap
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-register hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-register
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-avatar hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-avatar
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-presence hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-presence
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-gmail hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-gmail
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-osd hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-osd
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-alert hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-alert
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-disco hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-disco
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-chat hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-chat
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-si-common hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-si-common
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-history hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-history
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-keepalive hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-keepalive
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-truncate hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-truncate
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-ahc hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ahc
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-private hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-private
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/jabber-20160124.552/jabber-watch hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-watch
~/permabit-emacs/objdump hides /permabit/user/raeburn/elisp/objdump/objdump
~/permabit-emacs/kr-pdoc hides /permabit/user/raeburn/elisp/kr-pdoc
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/systemtap-mode-20151122.1140/systemtap-mode hides /permabit/user/raeburn/elisp/systemtap-mode
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/ssh-20120904.1342/ssh hides /permabit/user/raeburn/elisp/ssh
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/hideshowvis-20130824.500/hideshowvis hides /permabit/user/raeburn/elisp/hideshowvis
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/lua-mode-20151025.530/lua-mode hides /permabit/user/raeburn/elisp/lua-mode
/permabit/user/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/edit-server-20141231.1358/edit-server hides /permabit/user/raeburn/elisp/edit-server
~/permabit-emacs/c-fns hides /permabit/user/raeburn/elisp/c-fns
/permabit/user/raeburn/elisp/objdump/loaddefs hides /permabit/user/raeburn/dev/emacs/fsf/emacs-25.0.90/precise/Inst/share/emacs/25.0.90/lisp/loaddefs

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr gnus-msg emacsbug sendmail jabber-rtt goto-addr
jabber-keepalive jabber-ping sasl-digest hmac-md5 hex-util ielm pp
add-log server vc vc-dispatcher vc-git diff-mode sh-script smie
executable make-mode org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info
org-gnus org-docview doc-view org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs python tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver
ucs-normalize shell warnings pcomplete json conf-mode nxml-uchnm rng-xsd
xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode
nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok image-mode
jka-compr systemtap-mode cc-awk map seq hideshow rcirc face-remap
autorevert filenotify time hi-lock icomplete kr-stuff kr-hesiod
hideshowvis desktop frameset edit-server kr-gnus gnus-demon nntp
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc
nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rfc822 mml mml-sec
epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems
nnheader mail-utils iso-transl kr-dbus kr-math cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds jabber jabber-notifications notifications
jabber-libnotify dbus jabber-awesome jabber-osd jabber-wmii
jabber-xmessage jabber-festival jabber-sawfish jabber-ratpoison
jabber-tmux jabber-screen jabber-socks5 jabber-ft-server
jabber-si-server jabber-ft-client jabber-ft-common jabber-si-client
jabber-si-common jabber-feature-neg jabber-truncate jabber-time
jabber-autoaway jabber-vcard-avatars jabber-chatstates jabber-events
jabber-vcard jabber-avatar mailcap jabber-activity jabber-watch
jabber-modeline jabber-ahc-presence jabber-ahc jabber-version
jabber-ourversion jabber-muc-nick-completion hippie-exp jabber-browse
jabber-search jabber-register jabber-roster format-spec jabber-presence
jabber-muc jabber-bookmarks jabber-private jabber-muc-nick-coloring
hexrgb jabber-widget jabber-disco wid-edit jabber-chat jabber-history
jabber-chatbuffer jabber-alert jabber-iq jabber-core jabber-console
sgml-mode ewoc jabber-keymap jabber-sasl sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login
sasl-plain fsm jabber-logon jabber-conn srv dns starttls tls gnutls
jabber-xml xml jabber-menu jabber-util auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core cl-macs gnus-util
time-date mm-util help-fns help-mode mail-prsvr password-cache
kr-autoloads finder-inf ssh-autoloads info package epg-config idutils
derived thingatpt compile comint ansi-color ring cperl-mode easymenu
which-func imenu cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars p4 dired
kr-message-timestamp advice c-eldoc cl gv cc-defs cl-loaddefs pcase
cl-lib timeclock disp-table mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 995499 81905)
 (symbols 48 53354 0)
 (miscs 40 127956 6994)
 (strings 32 126842 24748)
 (string-bytes 1 4062630)
 (vectors 16 71150)
 (vector-slots 8 1223424 14638)
 (floats 8 703 478)
 (intervals 56 56880 894)
 (buffers 976 211)
 (heap 1024 80843 4174))