Subject: Re: bug#22932: 25.0.92; X protocol error: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation) on protocol request 149

From: John Eismeier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 08:04:46 -0500

Thank you Eli,

I am part way there, is this enough of a backtrace?  How do I configure
gdb to use the -Q argument when running under gdb

/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs -Q
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
X protocol error: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation) on protocol request 149
Fatal error 6: Aborted
Backtrace:
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x4fb362]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x4e2dd9]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x4fb3f3]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x450ada]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x450d10]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x54d94c]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x55411a]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x5877e5]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x554023]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x5877e5]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x554023]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x5877e5]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x553c62]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x554023]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x5877e5]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x553c62]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x554023]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x554279]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x55255b]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x552ce7]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x4e2d09]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x4b9b6d]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x4bd70e]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x4bd785]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6(_XError+0x12b)[0x7f31c620654b]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6(+0x3b5e7)[0x7f31c62035e7]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6(_XReply+0x2f7)[0x7f31c6204687]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXrandr.so.2(+0x56f9)[0x7f31c3b5b6f9]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x4cb4ce]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x4cbaad]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x4cdd52]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x5541ae]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x5877e5]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x553c62]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x554023]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x5877e5]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x553c62]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x554023]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x55255b]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x55411a]
/jenkins/emacs-25/build/bin/emacs[0x5877e5]
...
Aborted (core dumped)
eismej@eismej-u14:/jenkins/emacs-25/emacs$

Eli Zaretskii writes:

>> From: John Eismeier <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 08:41:23 -0500
>>
>>
>> I am using Ubuntu 14.04 with regular builds of the pretest.  Moving the
>> window has commonly crashed emacs.  How do I provide further details of
>> this concern?
>
> The file etc/DEBUG provides advice for this case (search for "X
> protocol errors").  Do what it says to put Emacs into the synchronous
> X mode, after starting Emacs under GDB and setting a breakpoint at
> x_error_quitter.  Then show the backtrace you obtain.
>
> Thanks.

--
                               -- John