Subject: bug#22908: guix download choices (unfonts -> upstream, archive.org bugged) and my alternatives.

From: Nils Gillmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 16:56:44 +0100

This references thread
"fonts.scm -> packaging "un-fonts", download isses"
on guix-devel and it classifies as a bug.
It's a bug upstream, replicated by archive.org and preventing me
from finishing my work.

Long story short, I try to package un-fonts, which sits on a
server which is configured in a way that it gives us a mime type
for the package which is invalid (.gz). Now somebody could make
guix download function to simply ignore that, but as I don't like
to do that with only this one known case at hand, my ideas are:

- download the file to sdf.org where it will sit until something
  happens to the entire internet and sdf.org disappears (they
  have been around since 84/87).
- upload the individual file to archive.org as the simple
  waybackmachine is not smart enough to fix the mime issue of the
  original server.

This is a bug, because it prevents me from using guix download,
and guix download from functioning in a way where it must be
altered to adopt to the incompetence of some domain/server
admin.

what do you think?
-- 
ng
irc://loupsycedyglgamf.onion:67/~NiAsterisk
https://psyced.org:34443/NiAsterisk/
EDN: https://wiki.c3d2.de/Echt_Dezentrales_Netz/en