Subject: Re: bug#22908: guix download choices (unfonts -> upstream, archive.org bugged) and my alternatives.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2016 14:36:41 +0100

retitle 22908 HTTP client rejects invalid 'Content-Type' headers
thanks

(Please make sure the title of your messages to bug-guix clearly
describes the problem with phrases like “Guix fails to …”, “Failure to
download from …”, etc.)

Nils Gillmann <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Long story short, I try to package un-fonts, which sits on a
> server which is configured in a way that it gives us a mime type
> for the package which is invalid (.gz).

As Ricardo noted in
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-02/msg01359.html>,
the problem is that Guile’s HTTP client is (too) strict and rejects this
invalid ‘Content-Type’ header from kldp.net:

  Content-Type: .gz

There are two courses of actions that can be taken in parallel:

  1. Get the kldp.net admins to adjust the Web server.  Did you get
     feedback from them?

  2. Make Guile’s HTTP client more permissive.

In the meantime, we could work around the issue by using a copy hosted
on another server, if possible, such as archive.org or sdf.org as you
note, or fossies.org (it mirrors a number of things.)

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.