Subject: Re: bug#22906: 24.5; eww SGML validate error

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 18:12:55 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I can reproduce this on the current master branch (ec12c670).
>>
>> The issue seems to be that `sgml-validate' assumes that the buffer is
>> visiting a file, which is not the case when you view a web page's source
>> from eww.
>>
>> Maybe we could offer to save the buffer when it's not visiting a file?
>
> I think that would be unusual for commands like this (that have to be
> written out to work).  Instead it could save the buffer to a temporary
> file, validate and then delete it again.

Actually, looking at the code again, I think it's just a simple bug.  It
checks whether buffer-file-name is non-nil, but then it ends up with
(shell-quote-argument nil), which is invalid.

I've now fixed this in Emacs 28.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no