Subject: bug#229: 23.0.60; Weird X11 input-related hang

From: George White <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 14:56:31 -0300

On Tue, 13 May 2008, Chong Yidong wrote:

> [email-masked] wrote:
>
>> For quite some time I have seen a strange bug where emacs (running
>> under X11) would occasionally stop responding to keyboard and mouse
>> events.  The editor is still alive, and will change the cursor block
>> in response to focus events, but mouse clicks and keystrokes have no
>> effect.  The only way I've found to recover is to kill the emacs
>> process and start over.
>>
>> Today I figured out how to reproduce it: move the pointer to the
>> menubar at the top of the window, then move the scroll wheel for a
>> click or two.  Works every time.  Does not appear to be dependent on
>> major mode.
>>
>> This happens with stock emacs as shipped by Fedora and my own pretest
>> builds too.
>>
>> In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.0)
>> of 2007-12-15 on vena
>
> I can't reproduce this on 23.0.60.50 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
> 2.12.9).
>
> Can anyone on the list reproduce this problem?

Yes and no.  Emacs appears "hung", but clicking on a menu releases it.
I assume that moving the scroll wheel "activate" the menus, and Emacs
is just waiting for further instructions.  Changing focus to another
window seems to work as well.  I'm using:

23.0.60.1 (i686-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.8)

--
George White <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
189 Parklea Dr., Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia  B3Z 2G6