Subject: bug#22898: 24.5; Frame Width increases on entering a Gnus Group

From: Rares Vernica <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 16:11:45 -0800

1. Start Emacs in X, M-: (frame-width) returns 80
2. Start Gnus, (M-x gnus)
3. Open one of the groups
4. Frame width increases, frame-width returns > 80. Some times it increases
by 1 sometimes by more.
5. Exit group and enter the same group again. The frame width does not
increase.
6. Exit group and enter a different group. The frame width *might* increase.

It seems that the amount the frame increases by depends on the contents of
the group, but I am not sure what exactly to look for in the group.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.7)
 of 2016-02-02 on buildhw-05.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11800000
System Description: Fedora release 23 (Twenty Three)

Configured using:
 `configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  iswitchb-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only
Quit
nnimap read 0k from outlook.office365.com
No more unseen articles
Expiring articles...done
nnimap read 0k from outlook.office365.com
No more unseen articles
Expiring articles...done
Quit
Auto-saving...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug dabbrev ps-mule ps-print ps-def lpr gnus-draft misearch
multi-isearch flow-fill w3m-form w3m browse-url w3m-hist w3m-fb
bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util
mm-archive conf-mode mule-util qp smiley gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml
disp-table sql view mailalias smtpmail sendmail ispell sort bbdb-gui
help-mode gnus-cite org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info
org-gnus org-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode dired org-bibtex
bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m utf-7 nndraft nnmh nnml vc-git bbdb-gnus
bbdb-snarf mail-extr gnutls network-stream auth-source eieio eieio-core
starttls nnimap parse-time tls utf7 netrc gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime password-cache dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache nnir gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source nnoo bbdb-autoloads bbdb-vcard
vcard bbdb-com bbdb timezone gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit xterm warnings server flymake-cursor flymake compile package
epg-config coffee-mode haml-mode js advice help-fns byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra cconv json imenu cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
markdown-mode derived thingatpt css-mode ruby-mode smie cl-macs edmacro
kmacro cl gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib info twiki w3m-load org org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint comint
ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs hideshow easymenu
paren time-date iswitchb tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 440894 49657)
 (symbols 48 48074 30)
 (miscs 40 644 1226)
 (strings 32 112719 10506)
 (string-bytes 1 3507905)
 (vectors 16 44879)
 (vector-slots 8 1179565 114789)
 (floats 8 601 1027)
 (intervals 56 1107 219)
 (buffers 960 89)
 (heap 1024 52144 5949))