Subject: bug#22884: 25.0.92; C/l mode editing takes waaaayy too long

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 10:03:54 +0000

Hello, Paul.

On Fri, Mar 04, 2016 at 09:08:18PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2016 at 12:32:06PM -0800, Paul Eggert wrote:
> > Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > > I have had an idea for fixing Emacs so that we don't have this problem
> > > with parens in column 0.  That is only to scan comments in the forward
> > > direction, and to mark them with text properties.  `back_comment' will
> > > then be little more than checking these text properties are up to date,
> > > and then doing a backward text property search.

> > Would this mean we no longer need to put \( into Elisp doc strings too? It has 
> > always been annoying that we have to do that.

> It would mean this, yes.  open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start would
> become obsolete.

Apologies, but I was mistaken on this point.  Being able to put "(" at
column 0 in Elisp strings would entail some further work, though that
work would not be difficult or disruptive.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).