Subject: Re: bug#22873: Can we support multiple Cursors?

From: Marcin Borkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2016 16:05:52 +0100

On 2016-03-03, at 12:20, Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>
>   > What would be the added value of having that built-in vs. having it on
>   > M?elpa?
>
> Melpa and ELPA are totally different.
>
> ELPA is effectively an extension of Emacs, and we refer users there.
>
> Melpa is someone else's repository, which we cannot treat as part of
> Emacs.  We do not steer users there.

I understand all this.  (In fact, I wanted to write Elpa, only to
discover - to my surprise - that Magnar's multiple-cursors package is
actually on Melpa.  It is GPL'd, however.)

Still, I think that trying to implement that in core would be duplicated
effort, and the feature does not seem essential (it is roughly
equivalent to keyboard macros, though admittedly way cooler).  If
anything, I'd check whether it can be put on Elpa.

-- 
Marcin Borkowski
http://octd.wmi.amu.edu.pl/en/Marcin_Borkowski
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science
Adam Mickiewicz University