Subject: bug#22866: 24.5; 'C-h S' leads to inaccurate result

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 06:52:53 -0800 (PST)

> For the function `delete-char'.  'C-h S' takes me to:
> (emacs)Top > Killing > Deletion and Killing > Deletion 
> However, it should go to: (elisp)Top > Text > Deletion

Why do you think so?  This is a user command, not just an
Elisp function.  An Emacs user looking for information about
it interactively will expect to go to its description in the
Emacs manual.  If we have to choose one or the other, we
should, I think, favor user help, especially for a command.

That said... (1) Maybe we could cross-reference the one from
the other manual?  (2) It might be good if `C-h S' popped
up a buffer of links to references in both manuals.  (3) It
would be good if *Help* output from `C-h f' and `C-h k'
provided links to the manuals (both).

----

FWIW, my library `help-fns+.el' does provide references to
the manuals in the output of help commands such as `C-h f' and
`C-h k'.  But it does not provide such links for `C-h S'.

If you click the link on `manuals' in the `*Help*' output:
"For more information check the manuals." then you get this
Info buffer, where the left column has links to the nodes
listed in the right column:

File: *Indexed*,  Node: Index for `delete-char',  Up: Top

Index Matches

Index entries that match `delete-char':

* Menu:

* delete-char [elisp]:            (elisp)Deletion.
* delete-char [emacs]:            (emacs)Deletion.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/help-fns%2b.el