Subject: bug#22859: 25.0.91; Errors in auto-revert-notify-handler

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2016 11:34:42 +0100

John Wiegley <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi John,

> However, I'm not performing any file renames. Perhaps this is due to the
> renaming of files used when creating backups?

Yes.

> What code might be raising a rename enough without a rename target?
> From a cursory inspection, it looks like it might be the file
> notification logic?

Yes, it is file notification. The kqueue backend is inferior compared to
the other backends. In case of a file rename, it reports only the source
file name. The other backends report also the target file name.

I've fixed this by propagating a `deleted' event upwards in such
cases. autorevert falls back to the polling mode, as it should. If you
want to avoid this effect, you might set `backup-by-copying' to t.

Could you, pls, check whether the patch works for you? I've pushed it to
the emacs-25 branch.

Best regards, Michael.