Subject: bug#22851: 25.1.50; filenotify tests take so long to run

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 15:48:59 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> If I say "make lisp/filenotify-tests", the tests take an inordinate
> amount of time.  It's been running for ten minutes now, and it's still
> just up to 13/18.  This means that I (and I would assume this applies to
> other people, too) can't just say "make" in the test directory to see
> whether anything interesting has broken lately.
>
> Can we inhibit those tests?

The usual tests when calling "make" (or "make check" from Emacs' top
directory) do not run such long. They suppress all tests marked as
expensive.

When you call "make filenotify-tests" it is intended to run all tests,
including the expensive ones. If you want to suppress expensive tests as
well, call "make filenotify-tests SELECTOR='$(SELECTOR_DEFAULT)'". Note,
that you don't need the "lisp/" prefix.

See test/README for further discussion.

Best regards, Michael.