Subject: Re: bug#22829: Acknowledgement (25.1.50; Display number of marked files)

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2016 13:27:52 +0100

Tino Calancha <[email-masked]> writes:

> We can also reconsider a bit about the keybinding 'N'
> for dired-man. Honestly i don't see the needs for this, having `man'
> and `woman' working nicely. Indeed, the funtion is not working as it
> should:
> (dired "/bin")
> j bash RET N bash RET
> Can’t find the /bin/bash manpage
> ;; Notice how i need to introduce 'bash' by hand, because the
> ;; interactive specification of this func. is just (interactive).
> ;; I don't expect anyone will complaint if we change 'N' binding here.

You misinterpret what this command is for (I am using it).

The command expects a man page at point (not an executable having a man
page).  This is like `dired-info' which displays info files from dired.
The prompt is for asking for a man command to render the page.

This is e.g. useful for software that you didn't install via "make
install", or for browsing "/usr/share/man" from within dired.

Michael.