Subject: bug#22819: 25.0.91; Don't try to indent region if the buffer is read-only

From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2017 19:19:31 +0000

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 3:06 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> I'm not sure what is it that you are asking me.  You already know my
> opinion on this proposal, and it hasn't changed.
>

I don't know what the outcome should be in this case:
- No one raised any issue moving forward with this in that emacs-devel.
- The concern you raised about indent-region having side-effects doesn't
seem practical. Indenting is a buffer-editing act for which the buffer
should not be read-only. If there are some side-effects other than that,
then that's a different problem. Also no one has presented a real scenario
where this proposal would cause an issue.
- Talking about pilot-error, this proposal simply alerts the user of the
pilot-error (doing indentation in read-only buffer) sooner rather than
later, thus saving the user's time.

So I don't know how differences are resolved in cases like this. The
proposal in this thread is to solve a real-life time-consuming annoyance,
where-as the against-point is about side-effects getting masked, and which
do not have any real-life examples.
-- 

Kaushal Modi