Subject: bug#22814: closed (Re: bug#22814: 25.0.91; Emacs runs out of file descriptors on OS X)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 07:45:01 +0000

Your bug report

#22814: 25.0.91; Emacs runs out of file descriptors on OS X

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22814: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22814
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22814: 25.0.91; Emacs runs out of file descriptors on OS X
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Anders Lindgren <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 09:44:27 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 25.2

Anders Lindgren <[email-masked]> writes:

> I just redid the test on the master branch. I managed to open 400+
> files with global auto-revert enabled and Emacs reverted files nicely.

So I'm closing the bug. Thanks for testing!

> I, honestly, don't know if the notification system was enabled,
> auto-revert-use-notify was t though.

If file notification is used, the buffer-local variable
auto-revert-notify-watch-descriptor is non-nil for buffers in
auto-revert-mode.

> -- Anders

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 25.0.91; Emacs runs out of file descriptors on OS X
From: David Caldwell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 22:18:13 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I have a large emacs desktop file (600+ buffers at the moment). Emacs
24.5 would open all the buffers just fine, but 25.0.91 (and 90)
apparently don't close the file after reading the buffer (or maybe it's
part of the new kqueue stuff?). By default OS X limits the number of
file descriptors per process to 256. So trying to open my large desktop
file gets it into a stuck state where it cannot open any more files
after it loads the first 240ish buffers.

This seems to me like a regression from 24.5 to 25.1.

-David

In GNU Emacs 25.0.91.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS appkit-1265.21
Version 10.9.5 (Build 13F1603))
 of 2016-02-13 built on builder10-9.local
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1404
Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp''

Configured features:
NOTIFY ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading delsel...done
Loading autorevert...done
Loading diff-hl...done
Loading undo-tree...done
Loading gnus...done
Loading paren...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug flycheck find-func rx subr-x seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-extra dash
david-custom-emacs-setup advice editorconfig commit-patch-buffer
log-edit message sendmail dired format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epg
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader ring pcvs-util add-log
david-headers autoinsert ginel-string david-keys david-movement
david-coding-style saveplace calmer-forest-theme paren gnus gnus-ems
nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util help-fns help-mode mail-prsvr
wid-edit undo-tree diff diff-hl edmacro kmacro smartrep vc-dir ewoc vc
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib vc-dispatcher diff-mode easy-mmode autorevert
filenotify delsel cus-start cus-load benchmark finder-inf
ack-and-a-half-autoloads go-mode-autoloads magithub-autoloads
mode-compile-autoloads nav-autoloads rainbow-mode-autoloads
slime-autoloads svg-clock-autoloads info package easymenu epg-config
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win ucs-normalize term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote kqueue cocoa ns
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 347585 16892)
 (symbols 48 27326 1)
 (miscs 40 109 303)
 (strings 32 44145 10694)
 (string-bytes 1 1249905)
 (vectors 16 48605)
 (vector-slots 8 1487708 148374)
 (floats 8 246 26)
 (intervals 56 329 94)
 (buffers 976 12))