Subject: bug#2280: closed (Re: bug#2280: 23.0.90; incorrect configuration)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 07:17:02 +0000

Your bug report

#2280: /sw and /opt/local on OSX

which was filed against the emacs,ns package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
2280: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=2280
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#2280: 23.0.90; incorrect configuration
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 03:16:19 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.2

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I think the main issue is that to make it work right, someone needs to
> improve the configure code for it.  Until then, you're probably right that
> we should comment it out.

I have commented out this code, opened a new bug about finding a
way to bring in back in some improved form, and am closing this report.

Subject: 23.0.90; incorrect configuration
From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 11:42:49 +0100

Hello!

When I try to configure GNU Emacs to use the X11R7.4 installation  
from MacPorts, installed under /opt, the configure script commands:

	checking whether it is safe to define __EXTENSIONS__... yes
	checking whether gcc understands -Wno-pointer-sign... yes
	checking whether ln -s works... yes
	checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E -no-cpp-precomp -I/ 
sw/include -L/sw/lib
	checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
	checking for ranlib... ranlib

i.e., it uses a completely not competent installation (that of Fink).  
The product that gets built with this settings is unusable:

	Connection lost to X server `:0.0'

To become able to compile an usable GNU Emacs I have rename /sw to  
something different, which brings some other problems, because a few  
of the GNU utilities (ls, du) are used by GNU Emacs – and also pkg- 
config (OK, I found that this Perl script works incorrectly, so I  
need to use the MacPorts substitute).

This /sw preferential treatment also happens when I invoke as compile  
command:

	./configure --without-sound --without-pop --with-dbus --with-libotf  
--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application\ Support/Emacs/ 
calendar23:/Library/Application\ Support/Emacs PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/ 
local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig  
CFLAGS="-Wno-pointer-sign -H -pipe -fPIC -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fast  
-mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize -foptimize-register-move -freorder- 
blocks -freorder-blocks-and-partition -fthread-jumps -fpeephole -fno- 
crossjumping" CXXFLAGS="-no-cpp-precomp -I/opt/local/include"  
CPPFLAGS="-no-cpp-precomp -I/opt/local/include -idirafter -I/usr/ 
X11R6/include" LDFLAGS="-dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/opt/ 
local/lib" PKG_CONFIG=/opt/local/bin/pkg-config

(exec-path and shell's PATH both start with /opt/local/bin) or a  
variation like this:

	env CXXFLAGS="-no-cpp-precomp -I/opt/local/include" CPPFLAGS="-no- 
cpp-precomp -I/opt/local/include -idirafter -I/usr/X11R6/include"  
LDFLAGS="-dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/opt/local/lib"  
PKG_CONFIG=/opt/local/bin/pkg-config ./configure --without-sound -- 
without-pop --with-dbus --with-libotf --enable-locallisppath=/Library/ 
Application\ Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/Application\ Support/ 
Emacs PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig CFLAGS="-Wno-pointer-sign -H -pipe -fPIC  
-mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize - 
foptimize-register-move -freorder-blocks -freorder-blocks-and- 
partition -fthread-jumps -fpeephole -fno-crossjumping"

In this successful configuration the configure script simply reports:

	checking whether it is safe to define __EXTENSIONS__... yes
	checking whether gcc understands -Wno-pointer-sign... yes
	checking whether ln -s works... yes
	checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E -no-cpp-precomp
	checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
	checking for ranlib... ranlib

In GNU Emacs 23.0.90.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, GTK+ Version 2.14.7)
  of 2009-02-11 on localhost
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version  
11.0.10402000
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-pop' '-- 
with-dbus' '--with-libotf' '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/ 
Application Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/Application Support/ 
Emacs' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig' 'CFLAGS=-Wno-pointer-sign -H -pipe - 
fPIC -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize - 
foptimize-register-move -freorder-blocks -freorder-blocks-and- 
partition -fthread-jumps -fpeephole -fno-crossjumping' 'CXXFLAGS=-no- 
cpp-precomp -I/opt/local/include' 'CPPFLAGS=-no-cpp-precomp -I/opt/ 
local/include' 'LDFLAGS=-dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/opt/ 
local/lib' 'PKG_CONFIG=/opt/local/bin/pkg-config''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Man

Minor modes in effect:
   show-paren-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

--
Greetings

   Pete

We have to expect it, otherwise we would be surprised.