Subject: bug#2280: 23.0.90; incorrect configuration

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 13:17:47 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Of course, there's the issue of which one to choose if both MacPorts and
> Fink are found, as well as the issue of finding an old left-over Fink or
> MacPorts installation.

As reported in bugs #5252, #5921, #6819, ...

> So maybe one way forward is to look more carefully at which libs we
> normally want to get from Fink/MacPorts (because they're missing from
> Mac OS X) and then check which ones of these are installed where.

I disagree about the usefulness of this. I think it is straightforward
to add in those search paths if you want them (users of those package
systems may well be used to doing so), but not so easy to override
configure if it makes the decision for you (and without really telling
you about it).

If we really must have this, then the suggestion of --with-fink,
--with-macports ... from bug#6819 seems the only clean way to get it.
But it seems ugly to me, and then obviously you need to keep adding such
options for every new Mac package system that comes along.